Friday, March 20, 2009

Reader's Writes: Who Do You Think You Are?

I got this invitation to join the paternal family facebook group.

I didn’t think much of it, other than, wasn’t it a bit strange looking up other family members you’d never met when you were in your fifties? If they were significant to you, wouldn’t you know them already?

In no time at all, there was a family tree and there I was in all my glory with my original paternal family name that I changed over thirty years ago to my own name, linked neatly to the husband I’d ditched soon after.

A note appears from the founder of the family facebook group.

Apparently, we’re all coming out of our cocoons.

I thought I’d been living my own life all these years.

I didn’t realize I was just waiting for the call of patriarchy.

Shani


Reader's Writes is a new section of the blog where you can get involved. Got something to say immediately? Feminist stress to get off your chest? Maybe we can help, drop Charlotte an email
charlcooper@hotmail.com

No comments: